Professor of Ophthalmology, Biomedical Engineering
Dr. Zhou has developed high frequency ultrasound composite and piezoelectric thick film ultrasound transducers and arrays, fabricated by MEMS technology for biomedical imaging applications. He has developed high sensitivity PMN-PT single crystal transducers for ultrasound and photoacoustic imaging of the retina and for intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) applications. Recently, he and his collaborators have been developing a novel tool for imaging and the elastic properties of the retina by using phase-resolved OCT with acoustic radiation force (ARF). He is also investigating the use of ultrasound for stimulating the retina.
Prof. Zhou received his Ph.D. degree from the Department of Electronic Engineering at Xi’an Jiaotong University. He is currently a Research Professor at the NIH Resource on Medical Ultrasonic Transducer Technology and the Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Ophthalmology at USC. Before joining USC in 2002, he worked in the Materials Research Laboratory at Pennsylvania State University. Prof. Zhou is a Fellow of SPIE and AIMBE, a senior member of the IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control (UFFC) Society, and a member of the Ferroelectric Committee, UFFC in IEEE. He is also a member of the technical program Committee of IUS in IEEE and Photoacoustic Committee in SPIE. He is an Associate Editor of IEEE UFFC and Chapter Chair in IEEE UFFC from 2015. He was the co-author of a paper that received the best student paper competition award in 2010 IEEE IUS and the best poster paper in photoacoustic plus ultrasound in 2015 SPIE Photonics West. He has published more than 170 journal papers in these areas.
List of Publications:
- Teng Ma, Xuejun Qian, Chi Tat Chiu, Mingyue Yu, Hayong Jung, Yao-sheng Tung, K. Kirk Shung and Qifa Zhou, High-resolution harmonic motion imaging (HR-HMI) for tissue biomechanical property characterization, Quantitative Imaging in Medicine and Surgery, No. 1, 108-117, 2015.
- Pu Wang, Teng Ma, Mikhail N. Slipchenko, Shanshan Liang, Jie Hui, Sukesh Roy, Michael Sturek, Qifa Zhou, Zhongping Chen, and Ji-Xin Cheng,High-speed Intravascular Photoacoustic Imaging of Lipid-laden Plaques Enabled by a 2-kHz Barium Nitrite Raman Laser, Scientific Reports, No. 4, 6889-7, 2014
- R. M. Chen, D. G. Paeng, K. H. Lam, Q. F. Zhou, K. K. Shung, N. Matsuoka, and M. S. Humayun, In vivo sonothrombolysis of ear marginal vein of rabbits monitored with high-frequency ultrasound needle transducer, Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, Vol. 33, No. 1, 103-110, 2013
- Joon-Mo Yang, Christopher Favazza, Ruimin Chen, Junjie Yao, Xin Cai, Konstantin Maslov, Qifa Zhou, K. Kirk Shung, and Lihong V. Wang, Simultaneous functional photoacoustic and ultrasonic endoscopy of internal organs in vivo, Nature Medicine, Vol.18, No.8, pp.1297-1302, 2012
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Materials Research Institute, The Penn State University
- Ph.D. Electronic Engineering, Xi’an Jiaotong University
Other web profiles: