Northrop Grumman Foundation Fred O’Green Chair in Engineering
Professor of Astronautical Engineering, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, Astani Department of Civil and Environment Engineering, Pediatrics, Education
Executive Director of Systems Architecting and Engineering Program
The overarching theme of Prof. Madni’s research is to exploit transdisciplinary thinking, methods, and models when addressing complex sociotechnical systems problems. Examples of such problems are pandemic management, energy transition, and autonomous vehicle safety. His research focus is on adaptive cyber-physical-human systems, augmented intelligence in human-machine teaming, and Model Based Systems Engineering and Digital Twin Technologies for biomedical and industrial applications. He defined the field of transdisciplinary systems engineering and wrote a highly acclaimed book on the subject.
Azad Madni is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and Life Fellow/Fellow of nine professional science and engineering societies including AAAS, IEEE, AIAA, INCOSE, and IISE. He serves on the research councils of two DOD centers, DOD’s Digital Engineering Body of Knowledge Governance Board, IISE Body of Knowledge Steering Committee. He co-founded and currently chairs the IEEE SMC award-winning technical committee on Model Based Systems Engineering. he specializes in model-based systems engineering and digital twin development approaches for industrial, aerospace, automotive, biomedical, and medical applications (including medical devices).
List of Publications:
- Madni, A.M., and Jackson, S. “Towards a Conceptual Framework for Resilience Engineering.” IEEE Systems Journal, 3.2, 181-191, 2009. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/4895241
- Madni, A.M., Madni, C.C., and Lucero, D.S. Leveraging Digital Twin Technology in Model-Based Systems Engineering, Systems, special issue on “Model-Based Systems Engineering,” 7(1), 7, 2019. https://www.mdpi.com/2079-8954/7/1/7
- Madni, A.M. and Sievers, M. Model-Based Systems Engineering: Motivation, Current Status, and Research Opportunities, Systems Engineering, Special 20th Anniversary Issue, Vol. 21, Issue 3, 2018. https://incose.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/sys.21438
- Madni, A.M., “Transdisciplinary Systems Engineering: Exploiting Convergence in a Hyper-connected World,” Springer, 2018. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-62184-5
- Bahill, T. and Madni, A.M. “Trade-off Decisions in System Design,” Springer, 2016. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-43712-5
- PhD, Engineering, minors: computational methods and AI, University of California, Los Angeles.
- MS, Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles
- BS, Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles
- Graduate, AEA/Stanford Executive Institute.