Professor of Computer Science, Psychology, and Neuroscience
Dr. Itti studies computational neuroscience, neural network modeling, visual attention, object recognition, visual scene understanding, eye movements, eye tracking, and visual aids.
Laurent Itti received his M.S. degree in Image Processing from the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications (Paris, France) in 1994, and his Ph.D. in Computation and Neural Systems from Caltech (Pasadena, CA) in 2000. He has since then been an Assistant, Associate, and now Full Professor of Computer Science, Psychology, and Neuroscience at USC. Dr. Itti’s research interests are in biologically-inspired computational vision, in particular in the domains of visual attention, scene understanding, control of eye movements, and surprise. This basic research has technological applications to, among others, video compression, target detection, and robotics. Dr. Itti has co-authored over 150 publications in peer-reviewed journals, books and conferences, three patents, and several open-source neuromorphic vision software toolkits.
List of Publications:
- L. Itti, C. Koch, E. Niebur, A Model of Saliency-Based Visual Attention for Rapid Scene Analysis, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 20, No. 11, pp. 1254-1259, Nov 1998. [1998 impact factor: 1.417] (Cited by 5931)
- V. Navalpakkam, L. Itti, Modeling the influence of task on attention, Vision Research, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 205-231, Jan 2005. [2003 impact factor: 1.958] (Cited by 545)
- L. Itti, P. F. Baldi, Bayesian Surprise Attracts Human Attention, Vision Research, Vol. 49, No. 10, pp. 1295-1306, May 2009. [2007 impact factor: 2.055] (Cited by 325)
- A. Borji, L. Itti, State-of-the-art in Visual Attention Modeling, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 185-207, Jan 2013. [2010 Impact Factor: 5.027] (Cited by 291)
- Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, Computation and Neural Systems, Pasadena, California, 2000
- M.S., Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications, Paris, France, 1994
- B.S., Mathématiques Supérieures et Spéciales M’, Tours, France, 1991
Other web profiles: