Division: neural-eletronics, neurophotonics
Assistant Professor of Research Ophthalmology
The research of Lan Yue, PhD, focuses on developing novel approaches to restore sight to the blind and decoding the underlying biological mechanisms. Dr. Yue has worked closely with patients who have received the retinal prostheses Argus I and II to evaluate the safety and efficacy of chronic electrical stimulation of the retina. Dr. Yue is committed to advancing the bioelectronic retinal prosthesis technologies and is concurrently developing minimally invasive alternatives to improve the visual experience of patients who are blind. Dr. Yue’s current effort involves using nano-sized neuro-photoswitches and novel optoelectronic materials in the optical control of the retinal activity as the building blocks of the next generation retinal prosthesis. Dr. Yue is also pursuing translational research in bioelectronics and biophotonics for the treatment of a variety of debilitating neurological diseases such as traumatic brain injury.
Lan Yue, PhD, received a B.S. in electronic engineering from the University of Science and Technology of China in 2006. Dr. Yue then obtained her Ph.D in biomedical engineering from University of Illinois at Chicago, where she focused on developing novel neurophotonic tools that modulate neural activities in a light dependent manner. Her work led to a US patent on a nanoscale neuromodulating platform for retina neuron activation apparatus and method. In 2013, Dr. Yue became as a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Ophthalmology at University of Southern California, where she carried out research in electronic and photonic therapeutics of retinal and other neural diseases in the brain. In 2016, Dr. Yue joined faculty at the Roski Eye Institute of USC. Dr. Yue is a recipient of the ARVO Retinal Research Foundation Lawrence travel fellowship grant in 2011 and the Juliette RP Vision Foundation Young Scientist Award in 2016.
List of Publications:
- Yue L, Weiland JD, Roska B, Humayun MS. “Retinal stimulation strategies to restore vision: fundamentals and systems” Progress in Retinal and Eye Research (2016).
- Yue L, Falabella P, Christopher P, Wuyyuru V, Dorn J, Schor P, Greenberg RJ, Weiland JD, Humayun MS. “Ten-year follow-up of a blind patient chronically implanted with epiretinal prosthesis Argus® I” Ophthalmology (2015).
- Yue L & Humayun MS. “Monte Carlo analysis of the enhanced transcranial penetration using distributed near infrared emitter array” Journal of Biomedical Optics (2015).
- Yue L, Monge M, Ozgur M, Louie S, Miller C, Emami A, Humayun MS. “Simulation and Measurement of Transcranial Near Infrared Light Penetration” Proceedings of SPIE BIOS (2015).
- Luo J, Lee SH, VandeVrede L, Qin Z, Piyankarage S, Tavassoli E, Asghodom RT, Alissa MB, Fa M, Arancio O, Yue L, Pepperberg DR & Thatcher, GR. “Re-engineering a neuroprotective, clinical drug as a procognitive agent with high in vivo potency and with GABAA potentiating activity for use in dementia” BMC Neuroscience (2015).
- VandeVrede L, Tavassoli E, Luo J, Qin Z, Yue L, Pepperberg DR, Thatcher GR. “Novel Analogues of Chlormethiazole are Neuroprotective in Four Cellular Models of Neurodegeneration by a Mechanism with Variable Dependence on GABAA Receptor Potentiation” British Journal of Pharmacology (2013).
- Yue L, Pawlowski M, Dellal SS, Xie A, Feng F, Otis TS, Bruzik SB, Qian H & Pepperberg DR. “Robust photo-regulation of GABAA receptors by allosteric modulation with a propofol analog” Nature Communications (2012).
- Yue L, Xie A, Bruzik KS, Bente F, Qian H & Pepperberg DR. “Potentiating action of propofol at GABAA receptors of retinal bipolar cells” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences (2011).
- A, Yan J, Yue L, Feng F, Mir F, Abdel-Halim H, Chebib M, Le Breton GC, Standaert RF, Qian H & Pepperberg DR. “2-aminoethyl methylphosphonate (2-AEMP), a potent and rapidly acting antagonist of GABAA-ρ1 receptors” Molecular Pharmacology (2011).
B.S. University of Science and Technology of China, Electronic Engineering, 2006
Ph.D. University of Illinois at Chicago, Biomedical Engineering, 2012
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Southern California, 2013-2016
Other web profiles: